Welcome back to my blog friends and crafters. If you've already seen some cards
from CEP's August Kit
, (including my own!) hold onto your markers and colored pencils, cuz this one came out nice, really nice! Mind you it did take longer to make, and I was using some products I'd never used before (the Vicki Boutin Art Crayon and Iridescent glaze). So here it is:
Products I used are:
(those in red from the August Kit
Vicki Boutin All the Good Things stamps and Dies
Altenew Stencil - Half Tone
Concord & 9th Petals and Pallets stamp/die
Vicki Boutin Art Crayon (green)
Vicki Boutin Iridescent Glaze
Distress Oxide Ink: Gathered Twigs, Walnut Stain
Copic Sketch Marker R20
Faber Castell Polychromos Colored Pencils (36 ct.)
Mid Cadmium Red
Deep Scarlet Red
Tim Holtz idea-ology Cutout Floral Cling Foam stamps
Distress Crayon in Dried Marigold
Tombow Dual Brush Marker #243 (Mint Green Color)
White Heavy Weight cardstock
Light Grey and Charcoal Cardstock
Butterfly from Jen Hadfield "My Bright Life" foiled ephemera piece
How I made it:
I started by preparing the iridescent glaze for stenciling. I scribbled a moderate amount of the green VB Art Crayon
onto a stamping block then added maybe a teaspoon (or less) of the glaze and mixed it up to give me this beautiful mint green color. I used the Altenew
Half Tone stencil I bought from CEP
and taped it to the light grey cardstock from the backside. I then spread out the green glaze I had made but left the edges imperfect. I set it aside to dry.
Next I stamped the flowers, using Memento
London Fog on the rose and Lawn Fawn's
Chili Pepper from the kit for the other flowers. First I colored the rose in R20 Copic
marker, just leaving what would be the lightest parts of the flower white. I then moved to using my FC Polychromos
pencils. Originally I picked out 6 colors, but as I started to color, I realized I only needed 3 + white. Once done coloring, I used some clear Wink Of Stella
on the lightest parts of the flower.
For the other flowers, I decided to first color them with the VB glaze
, but instead of green, I used a Distress Crayon
in Dried Marigold mixed with the glaze. I used it full strength on the large flower, then diluted it with more water for the mid-size flower, and diluted it again for the smallest of flowers and only used it in the center and curled tips of flower petals. I wanted them all to look slightly different from one another, yet clearly grown from the same garden! I decided once the glaze was dry (didn't take long) to add some color with the same FC Polychromos
pencil colors as the rose. I used it for shading near the centers of the flowers. I also used a yellow glitter pen for some of the details in the center of the largest and middle sized flowers. Once the coloring was done, I die cut everything out with their matching dies.
It was at this point that I decided to make a wood pallet from Concord & 9th's
Petals and Pallets stamp/die set. I stamped the long wood planks in Distress Oxide
Ink- Gathered Twigs, die cut them out with the matching die, then I wet a paint brush and loosely spread out the color. To finish it off, I grabbed my Distress Oxide
Ink in Walnut Stain and added darker areas where it seemed logical. Next I adhered the plank to the left side of my stenciled cardstock. As I was arranging the flowers, I really felt that I needed leaves to have it look right. I used the leaves from the C & 9th
Petals and Pallets because they looked like rose petals to me. I rubbed off more color from the green Art Crayon onto my block, then just added water (not too much). I then used my paint brush to brush the color onto the leaf stamp and stamp it onto some plain white cardstock. I loved how they came out. I ended up using three of them (I fussy cut them out). The other two leaves I stamped in similar fashion but they were flat cling foam stamps from Tim Holtz
idea-ology called Cutout Floral. I decided to add some detail to the leaves by using my Tombow
markers in just a slightly darker color than the leaf. I fussy cut those as well.
OK, it's showtime!
I placed all the elements where I wanted them, then grabbed some Press-n-Seal and pressed the sticky side down so I could lift off the arrangement just as it was. Then starting with the top most layers, I glued each piece down on my pallet area. I did decide to pop up the rose as I wanted her to stand out the most. Once everything was adhered, I grabbed the cute butterfly from the ephemera pack and glued one half down and placed some foam adhesive behind the other wing to keep it at the desired angle. I trimmed my card panel to 5.25" x 4" and centered it on the provided charcoal cardstock. I then adhered that to my top folding heavy white cardbase. Voile', my card was done!
As you can see there is a lot of sheen from the glaze, both on the stenciled dots and the flower petals (I love it!)
I hope you enjoyed my card and how I used the Vicki Boutin products. More to come!
Please visit CEP's Facebook page
for lots of inspiration from the Design Team and all things CEP.
Also check out the store, as their stock of products is growing at https://creativeescapepapercrafting.com/
However, if you'd like to see more of my creations, come visit me on Instagram
where I post all my cards. I'm jktaylor911
Thanks for stopping by, happy crafting my friends!